| The Secrets to Beautiful Containers:
- Replace the soil every year.
- Clean your containers with a solution of water and vinegar.
- Mix soil with a crystal polymer such as “Soil Moist” to reduce watering.
- Place your containers outside and note if they are located in a sunny or shady area.
- Consider if the container will be viewed from 3 or 4 sides and plant accordingly.
- Select a color scheme that matches your container as well as the location.
- Sketch a design for your container.
- The best containers have a variety of color, texture, and height.
- Purchase your annuals by shade or sun loving.
- For containers with a 12” diameter use 3-4 types of annuals with complimentary colors.
- Place tall plants in the back middle of the container; have some asymmetry for better show.
- Remember to leave space for your plants to spread.
- Do not forget that ornamental grasses, perennials and herbs are also great for containers.
|Ana Newell, The Garden Lady | Phone: 508-523-1246 | Email: AnaGardenLady@comcast.net | 15 Echo Hills Drive, Mansfield, MA 02048
Proud Member of: Massachusetts Horticultural Society, Keep Mansfield Beautiful,
Mansfield Shredding Service, Mansfield Garden Club, Tri-Town Chamber of Commerce
Massachusetts Pesticide Applicator license # 36509
all images ©2015 no unauthorized reproduction allowed
website design by Cynthia Blair